Monday, August 8, 2011

Changes, Hospital Visits, and Bedrest

Changes-

So after a really exciting June and most of July with lots of events going on, my mom and grandma visiting, and getting things ready for the girls everyone left and thus began the waiting period. I still had a few things I wanted to do but the energy to do them just wasn't there for very long. Most days I went from couch to bed and back. Alex was in charge of supper every night and he did a great job taking care of me when he got home from work. I tried to do at least one thing per day whether it be going to the doctor, visiting a friend, or running an errand to Target or the grocery store. Things were going pretty well and I was feeling pretty well overall, just tired.

Hospital Visits-

On Monday, July 25th, at 32 weeks, I was resting at home when I started to feel a lot of pelvic pain that felt like really strong menstrual cramps. As I had been told this was what contractions felt like I began to get a little worried. I had also not felt this before so I felt like something was going on. I continued laying down for about an hour to see if they would stop. They didn't so I decided to call my doctor. She told me to come into the hospital to be checked. I then called Alex and he met me there. When I finally was admitted and hooked up to the contraction monitor I was having contractions every 2-4 minutes. I was shocked. I was convinced that I was going to get to the hospital only to tell me that I was fine and send me back home. This was not the case.

First, they decided to try a drug called terbutaline to help calm contractions. I had two shots of this medicine in the back of my arms. This medicine makes your heart race and you feel extremely jittery. The nurse warned me of all of this prior so though it wasn't pleasant, I was prepared for it. It helped to calm them a bit but the doctors weren't satisfied with the amount of contractions I was still having. I then had a test (can't remember the name) that tests to see if you are giving off a hormone that means you will deliver in the next two weeks. This made me really nervous because I really wanted to make it longer than that with the babies still inside me. Luckily, the test came back negative.

I then had my cervix checked and we found out that it was still closed, another good sign that I would not be delivering anytime soon. They also checked the babies via ultrasound and they were doing great and still had plenty of fluid to grow in. I was very comforted and felt certain that I did not have to worry about early delivery. I was still concerned about the contractions
but not nearly as much as I was before. They decided to give me another medication called procardia. This is a blood pressure medication that they use to help your uterus relax. Luckily, it didn't have any side effects and could be taken as a pill. After waiting most of the day, I was told I would spend the night so they could monitor my contractions. They also wanted to give me two steroid shots to help the babies lungs develop.

When we finally saw the doctor on call she also broke the bad news that when I did get home I would be placed on strict bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy. I had been dreading this since I found out I was having twins since it usually is not a matter of if but when you will be placed on bed rest. I immediately called my mom and she said she would be there the next day to stay with me and help me and Alex through the bed rest process. This was a huge relief and I was secretly very happy that my mom and grandma were coming back.

We were finally discharged from the hospital at about 6:30 on Tuesday. I was really happy to be going home. Alex had been with me the whole time and was so supportive. I was just glad everything was okay and that the babies were staying inside me for a while longer. Here is a horrible picture of me in the hospital bed.


Bed rest-

My mom and grandma arrived on Wednesday night and thus we began the bed rest process. The first week was fine, the second a bit harder, and now that I'm on the third week I'm so over it. I know it is necessary and good for my babies but it is really hard to lay around all day long. I know I will get through it and it will be worth it but man it really stinks sometimes. I am so blessed though to have my hubby, my mom, and my Nana to take care of me. I couldn't ask for better care during this time.

Last Monday, at 33 weeks, on my birthday no less, I had to go back to the hospital again for contractions. This time though I only had to stay about 6 hours and they were able to get them down with three rounds of
terbutaline (not fun for me). I was discharged at midnight Monday and we went home all very tired. I guess with twins preterm contractions are very normal or so everyone keeps telling me. I try to stay positive and not worry too much. My cervix is still closed and so hopefully the babies will keep cooking in my tummy!

A note about my 25th birthday-

As I mentioned this hospital visit was on my birthday and I missed my birthday dinner that night. We had it the next night and it was wonderful. We had really good steaks, potato casserole (my favorite), and good french bread. My sweet friend Ericka also brought me cupcakes which were delicious. Alex got me a flip camera so I could record everything baby related when they get here. My mom got me a refrigerator that we will put upstairs for nighttime feedings and my Nana got me a cd/mp3 player for the girls room so I could play music while taking care of them in their room. It felt good to get gifts that I liked that would also be useful with the girls. I also got to see my best bud Kristen Moore who had been living in Dubai for the last year. This was such a nice visit and I really enjoyed catching up with her. I got lots of sweet cards and facebook messages. So although I was in the hospital on my birthday, I felt very loved and special! Thank you to everyone who made it special for me!

This Tuesday, August 9th, I will be 34 weeks which is a huge milestone for twin pregnancies. The doctors tell me that if the girls come after this milestone everything will turn out great. I am having lots of mixed emotions probably due to the bed rest and the fact that all I can think about is the girls coming. I feel very prepared but also very nervous and excited! I know the Lord is in control and I just need to go with the flow but that is hard for a planner like me. We are still hoping to make it to Sept 1st for our scheduled C-section. Only 3 1/2 more weeks to go! Hopefully we can make it but if we have them before that I feel really good about how everything will work out. I am so thankful for making it this far and can't wait to meet my daughters!

No comments:

Post a Comment