Tuesday, March 13, 2012

7 Months!

Well folks- my baby girls are 7 months old. I can hardly believe it!  Time is going by so quickly.  The other day I was thinking that this time last year I was just a few months pregnant with these two and just imagining what they would be like.  Every thought I had almost revolved around them and their arrival and now I know their personalities and get to see their pretty smiles everyday.  I am truly blessed!

This past month has been interesting for sure as we battled through the twins first sickness.  I realized though how lucky we have been that they have stayed healthy for so long.  I'll talk more about the sickness later in the post.

At the beginning of this month was Valentines Day.  My mom purchased them an oh so cute outfit (shown below) and they looked just adorable.  On V-Day we had a playdate with my friend Heather and her daughter Violet!  This is a weekly treat for us and great friend time for mommy. That night we cooked Daddy dinner and gave him his v-day cards. The rest of the week we relaxed and met up with our friends. We went to our small group (full of friends for mommy, daddy, and girls).  Our weekly routine (when we are healthy) has turned into a really nice time filled with great friends and fellowship!

The next week we went to Jackson, AL to visit my Annie (my g-ma) for her 70th birthday.  The girls did great while there and we all had a wonderful time.  The girls had great fun with all the family that was there to hold them and spoil them every minute.  Their cousin Avery was such a big help and loved spending all her time away from school with the girls.  The girls got to enjoy my great-g-ma Boots who is 94 and also visit my great-great Aunt Tommy and Uncle JR who are Boot's age and not doing that well.  It was a wonderful visit and we were sad to leave.  I also was able to find an amazing double jogging stroller for $60 at this place called Dirt Cheap in Jackson. It was brand new and is listed on Target.com for $221.  I was super excited.

Now back to the sickness...towards the middle of our trip I started not feeling great.  I usually have a time with my allergies when I get there and two days before we arrived the pollen appeared.  Pollen and I don't get along.  Luckily, Annie and my sweet cousins took great care of the girls so I could get some rest before we traveled home.  On Saturday night before we left, I started to notice that Addie was coughing and had a runny nose.  She had a cold previously this winter but never had the couging so that concerned me a bit.  When we got home on Sunday it seemed a bit worse and by Monday I was convinced that I needed to take her to the doctor.  The doc confirmed she had bronchitis brought on by RSV and a double ear infection. She sent us home with breathing treatments and an antibiotic for the ear infection. She also gave me extra tubing for the nebulizer because she said that most likely Allie would also start to develop symptoms.

Allie began couging the next day so I started her on breathing treatments as well.  Having two babies getting breathing treatments every 4 hours is to say the least not very fun. I felt like they were newborns having to wake them up every four hours to give them a treatment.  The treatments because they are steroids caused them to be very jittery and they did not go back to sleep easily.  For a good week I didn't get more than an hour or two sleep at a time, but it was all worth it because by the end of the week Addie was much better.  Allie, however, began to run a fever and not act herself (both girls had been pretty happy throughout the whole thing).  I took her temp Thursday night and it was 100.9 and the next day she kept a pretty consistent fever.  I took her in the doc Friday and they told me she was fine and the fever might be from a sore throat.  We went home and I continued to rotate tylenol and motrin for her.  She had the fever consistently until late Sunday night into Monday morning. On Monday, I took her back to the doctor because I was just not convinced she was okay and they told me she had a double ear infection as well. She has no been on antibiotics for 24 hours and we are hoping that we are all getting better.

This weekend because I was so sick of being cooped up in the house we took the girls out both Saturday and Sunday.  In their stroller for the whole time to keep them sort of contained from germs or passing them to anyone else.  We had a great time at Marietta Square- ate lunch at this very neat place called Hemingways (Alex and I being nerds enjoy the literature connection) and then to the new Kroger which we just love!  On Sunday we didn't have church or small group being that it was FIA (faith in action) day and we didn't feel thevgirls were well enough to be exposed to others if we went and helped out.  We hung out at home most of the morning and then were planning to go to Piedmont Park but ended up eating at the Varisty (a classic downtown Atlanta legacy) and going to Walmart.  While not the most exciting of activities it sure was nice to spend time together and get out of the house.

Okay, so now I have updated what we did this month but now let me tell you a little about the girls and how they have grown/changed since last month.

Addie- I believe she is about 16 1/2 lbs by now.  Last Monday at the doc she was 16lbs, 5oz.  She loves, loves, loves her solids!  She opens her mouth for each and every bite and gets very upset if I don't feed her fast enough (it's quite a show when I am feeding them both by myself- I usually use one spoon and give one a few bites and then the other- but they don't like AT ALL when the other is being fed and tend to cry until it is their turn again). Addie loves to roll and roll and roll. I think she could defintley sit up on her own if she didn't want to go right to standing.  She will sit for a minute but then just flips over to roll some more. She is extremley strong willed however so I'm not sure if I can get her to do anything she does not want to.  I think she also wants to crawl and has great leg power but just can't quite get her arms to cooperate. She still does not have any teeth but I think it won't be long now.  She chews on everything she can get her hands on.  Both girls have become very interested in toys recently, but espically Addie- she loves to grab at them.  She is pretty impressive when she holds a ball- I think she might be an athlete after all.  She is sleeping really well at night but has to have her paci and baby(a little animal head/blanket body) with her at all times.  She is super affectionate and likes to touch her hands to your face and give you kisses (well sort of).  When she is mad, she's really mad and you have to fix it.  There really is no self-soothing with Addie.  If she wakes up during the night, I know I have to get a bottle fast or she is going to scream. 

Allie- Yesterday at the doctor Allie weighed 17 lbs and 4 oz.  She is still our little chucker but in all fairness she is 1/2 inch taller than her sister.  She is not as interested in solid food and would prefer bottles.  I am not sure if this has something to do with the fact that she has teeth and the spoon feels weird to her.  Anyway, she makes some great faces when we give her something new that she isn't too sure about.  When she is really past the point of hungry she won't even consider eating solid food and just spits it out and crys for her bottle.  I have literally never seen a child get so excited over a bottle.  She kicks her feet and starts to pant/grunt. It's too funny. And if we have the bottle in our hand and we are holding her she will take her mouth and hands to try and grab it.  I think we are going to have a hard time weaning her off eventually. She is still such a sweet baby but because of all the sickness is having a really hard time sleeping latley.  She has a hard time getting settled but luckily with her she can self-soothe to a point. Most of the time a little crying is necessary to get her to go to bed. This weekend when she was running a fever she slept with us and she loved that.  I know that's not the best thing to do but hey it worked.  Allie still only has two teeth but the doctor said yesterday she is working on some more.  She is also sitting up pretty well. She last about 5 min before she topples to one side or the other (I will post pics below).  She is also trying so hard to crawl. She has gotten the rocking back and forth on all fours down and I don't think it will be long before she is moving.

Overall, the girls are doing great.  They have become so much fun and are doing new things daily.  I am super nervous but also excited about what the next months will bring.  I know when they finally figure out how to move I will never sit down again.  We are working on doing some baby proofing and the nice part about all this new movement is it really tires them out.  They are taking really good naps during the day which gives me some nice time off to either take a nap myself (happens many days- shh don't tell Alex) or do something around the house.  Somehow I still don't quite get it all done, sometimes I just choose playing with them over my chores.  Our laundry pile can attest to that very well!

As for me- I have applied for a job next year and am planning to apply other places as teaching jobs are listed. As much as it has been a hard decision, I think going back to work is the best decision for us right now.  If I don't get a job, however, I am considering keeping another child(ren) or tutoring.  We defintley could use the extra money and I need a little time outside the mommy world.  I am praying that the right thing works out.  I know God is leading us down the right path and will reveal a plan in time. 

It has been a great 7 months.  Happy Birthday babies!  I love you!

Enjoy pics below!  I know I take A LOT of pics of my kiddos and I'm slightly obssessed with collages from Picasa- please forgive me! :)















No comments:

Post a Comment