Monday, May 7, 2012

For MoMs by MoMs: Introducing Me!

I am so excited about this link up and am hoping that it will encourage me to do better at blogging. I tend to read blogs everyday but rarley write on mine. So here's my story...

I never imagined (I mean NEVER imagined) I would one day be MoM (Mom of multiples).  I (Ashley) always knew I wanted to be a mom but never thought multiples was in the realm of possibilty for my husband and I.  Alex (hubby) and I had been married a little over a year when we decided to start trying to have a baby (it was right around Christmas time). I thought it would for sure take several months as I hoped to be pregnant by that summer- I was at the time a high school English teacher and I am a major planner- babies would have to fit the PLAN!

I guess God thought my plan was pretty funny because we found out we were expecting the very next month. I sometimes feel guilty that we didn't struggle with pregnancy but then I remember how truly blessed I am.  Most people; however, expect that if you have twins they either come from your family history or were a result of infertility treatments.  It's amazing how much you really learn about twins when you get pregnant with them. 

After getting over the inital shock of finding out we were having twins, I was over the moon with excitment.  I researched everything twin related and began coming up with names and planning our nursery.  I had a plan for boy/boy, girl/girl, or boy/girl.  I really never had any idea what we would have but secretly I wanted two girls.  I got my wish and we found out at 16 weeks that we were having fraternal twin girls.  From then on out I went nuts with pink girly stuff.  I also told my principal that I would not be coming back to work the next school year and would instead transistion into the role of a SAHM.  A role which I have come to love- though it has its days for sure.

My girls were born on August 13, 2011 after a 34 week apt where my blood pressure had spiked and I was checked into the hospital for observation.  I had been on bed rest for a month and was going to the doctor 3 times per week at this point with two hosptial stays for preterm contractions.  (more on all that next week).  The girls were over 5lbs each when they were born, though they did have to have some oxygen and thus were sent to the NICU.  They stayed in the NICU 13 long days and then we got to bring them home! That was the second best day of my life. 

They will be 9 months old this Sunday and I can hardly believe I have made it this long.  They are the sweetest girls in the world and I honestly can't imagine my life without them in it.  I feel like the most blessed mommy in the world when I see their beautiful faces every morning.

Other multiple blogs have been my outlet and my source of information.  I greatly appreciate reading about others successes and struggles. It truly makes me feel like I'm not along in this crazy multiple world! :)








1 comment:

  1. I sometimes feel guilty that I didn't struggle with infertility either. Our twins were more spontaneous even though four generations ago and aunt or someone had twins. Your girls are absolutely gorgeous! I would love to have a girl some day but would be perfectly happy with another boy.

    ReplyDelete